Best Eco Beauty Destinations in New York City
Pop 5: NYC Eco Beauty Destinations
Earth Day is just a few days away, and so far, we've dug up your (and our) favorite florists and eco-style spots. Last week, I asked you for your must-visit eco beauty locales. Here is our newly minted Pop 5 list, featuring the best of the best eco beauty unearthed — greener, cleaner, and prettier than ever.
- John Masters Organics (77 Sullivan St., 212-343-9590) John Masters has been dedicated to creating luxury organic beauty products for more than 20 years. His eponymous SoHo flagship store offers natural hair care, skin care, body care, and even pet care, all EcoCert-certified and USDA organic-approved. The evening primrose shampoo, citrus and neroli detangler and shine on leave-in hair treatment are absolutely divine. It's a plus that what's good for you is also good to planet Earth.
- ION Studio (41 Wooster St., 212-343-9060) This downtown hair salon is the epitome of eco-chic. Between the use of all-natural products (expending a zero percent carbon footprint), wind-powered energy, and recycled materials, it is one of the city's greenest beauty destinations. Owned by esteemed stylists Leonardo Manetti, Pasquale Ferrante, and Marco Santini, ION offers everything from a basic cut and blow dry to single process, makeup touch-ups, and eyebrow shaping. You'll be amazed by gorgeous 100 percent sustainable results.
- Whole Body at Whole Foods Market (260 Seventh Ave., 212-924-9972) Chelsea's standalone Whole Body location, next door to its sister Whole Foods, is a great resource for beauty products that are plant-based, contain nonpetroleum and naturally-derived ingredients, pure essential oil fragrances, and gentle preservatives. On top of that laundry list of eco-goodness, Whole Body vendor products, as well as in-house products, are never tested on animals. Make sure to look for hard-to-find fabulous skincare brand Nude, which retails at Whole Body!
- W!NK Eco Beauty Bar (602 Vanderbilt Ave., 718-230-3443) Prospect Heights' eco oasis treats Brooklynites to a totally green nail and day spa experience. The W!NK staff abides by natural, organic, and vegan spa practices, which include eco-manis, vegetable-based waxing, and detox body wraps.
- Aveda (233 Spring St., 212-807-1492) This collection of products should be no stranger to you, mostly because Aveda has been one of the leading botanical-based beauty brands since 1978. Head to SoHo's Aveda Institute where you'll be privy to the tried-and-true natural products, its sustainable salon services, and a host of Earth Month exclusives.
Source: John Masters Organics