Top 10 NYC Desserts: Buttercup Bake Shop, Chikalicious, Momofuku Milk Bar, Jacques Torres, and More
Top 10 of 2010: NYC's Sweetest Treats
Coming to the end of another year can be bittersweet — but I'd prefer to focus solely on the "sweet" part. Even though PopSugar's FreshGuide NYC has only been around for a couple months, we still fancy ourselves dessert connoisseurs. Here's our top 10 treats to round out 2010 on a sugar high (note).
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes (above) from Chikalicious Dessert Bar (203 E. 10th St., 212-475-0929) The subtle cocoa flavor and moist density kills.
- French Confections from Patisserie Claude (187 W. 4th St., 212-255-5911) Get there early for freshly baked croissants that are buttery and flaky in all the right places.
- Tiramisu from Cafe Lalo (201 W. 83rd St., 212-496-6031) Light, fluffy, and rich — a rare combo. One of the best versions of tiramisu I've tasted in NYC.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes from Buttercup Bake Shop (973 Second Ave., 212-350-4144; 141 W. 72nd St., 212-787-3800) The cake is moist, the cream cheese frosting is perfection, and, to be honest, Buttercup's red velvet cupcakes got me through a very bad breakup.
- Crack Pie (below) from Momofuku Milk Bar (207 Second Ave., 212-777-7773) The gooey butter filling plus toasted oat crust gets me every. single. time.
- Exotic Flavors from Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (65 Bayard St., 212-608-4170) Get a scoop of homemade (by your Chinese grandmother) ice cream in flavors like red bean, black sesame, zen butter, and almond cookie.
- Hot Chocolate from Jacques Torres (various locations) Hot chocolate and chocolate confections (below) are sublime here. I'm pretty sure the French were born with an extra baking gene.
- Figs and Honey from Maialino (2 Lexington Ave., 212-777-2410) Danny Meyers never fails to treat diners to something delicious — the ricotta custard and honeyed fig compote is creamy, sweet, but never too decadent.
- Buttermilk Cupcakes from Twelve Oaks Bakery (email@example.com) The lemon cream cheese frosting is to die for!
- Bread Pudding from Blue Ribbon Bakery (35 Downing St., 212-337-0404) Request the banana walnut pudding, crusty around the edges, sweet and soft in the middle.